Lesson III: Korean for Korean Law
The following is some basic Korean vocabulary. Check back for more Korean Legal vocabulary.
I. Daily Korean Legal Words
A. Criminal Law: 형법, 형사법
B. Prosecutor: 검사
C. Judge: 판사
D. Indictment: 기소
E. Conviction: 유죄의 판결
F. Sentence: 판결, 선고
G. defendant: 피고
H. jail: 교도소
I. rape: 성폭행
J. murder: 살인
K. robbery: 강도죄
II. Daily Korean Law Sentences
A. The prosecutor indicted the man for murder.
검사는 그 남자를 살인죄로 기소했다.
B. The judge convicted the defendant of rape.
판사는 피고를 성폭행 혐의로 유죄를 선고했다.
C. The defendant was sentenced to three years in jail.
피고는 징역 3년의 선고를 받았다.
Sean Hayes is the first non-Korean attorney to have worked for the Korean court system (Constitutional Court of Korea) and one of the first non-Koreans to be a regular member of a Korean law faculty. Sean is ranked, for Korea, as one of only two non-Korean lawyers as a Top Attorney by AsiaLaw, and IPG Legal is consistently ranked Top Dispute Resolution Law for our litigation services.
If you would like a consultation with an English-speaking lawyer in Korea, please schedule a call at: Schedule a Call with an Attorney.
- Definition of Rape in Korea Elaborated on by the Korean Supreme Court: Criminal Law Basics
- Length of Sentences for Korean Crimes Perpetrated in Korea
- Captain of Korean Ferry Receives 36 Year Jail Sentence: Likely Life Sentence for Elderly Captain
- Double Jeopardy Protection in Courts in Korea: Right Not to be Tried in Korea for the Same Crime
- The Law of Self-Defense in Korea: Criminal Law Basics in Korea
- South Korea moves to Remove Statute of Limitation on Murder
- IPG Legal Thwarts the Korean Government’s Attempt to Extradite an American Former Service Member to South Korea
- Detention of Criminal Suspects in Korea under Korea’s Criminal Procedure Law
- Korean Pretrial Detention: Korean Criminal Law Basics
- Collecting a Debt in Korea: Payment Orders are your Friends