The largest question in this case is not the obvious, but the fact that the Court only sentenced the soldier to 4 years in jail.
Rape is only second to Murder and maybe attempted murder in seriousness. Rape affects the victim in the most proud way. This women’s life will be forever changed because of this situation. This realization should lead courts to sentence rapists to long jail sentences. 4 years in jail for rape is a travesty of justice. The normal sentence for rape is 3 years, but the Court supposedly sentenced the rapist to 4 years because of the severe trauma caused by the rape.
- Length of Sentences for Korean Crimes Perpetrated in Korea
- Definition of Rape in Korea Elaborated on by the Korean Supreme Court: Criminal Law Basics
- Korean Journalism and the Comfort Woman Issue by Tom Coyner
- South Korea moves to Remove Statute of Limitation on Murder
- IPG Legal Thwarts the Korean Government’s Attempt to Extradite an American Former Service Member to South Korea
- Not Guilty Verdict for U.S. Government Employee with U.S. 8th Army: Announcement
- The Law of Self-Defense in Korea: Criminal Law Basics in Korea
- Captain of Korean Ferry Receives 36 Year Jail Sentence: Likely Life Sentence for Elderly Captain
- Does a Korean court have the power to issue a preliminary attachment on Korean assets stemming from a foreign court claim?
- Do you Need to Enter the Korean Market via a Joint Venture/Partnership?