In the first jury trial in Korea the defendant was found guilty.
The defendant a 27-year old man admitted to battery and robbery of a 70-year old woman in her home, but claimed that he did so because his younger sister needed money in order to pay debt collectors that were threatening the life of his sister.
A month, prior to the trial, The Daegu District Court, notified 230 citizens of the district that they were called for jury duty. Surprisingly, 86 jurors showed up for jury duty and the prosecutor and the defense attorney selected, amongst the 86, 9 jurors and 3 alternates. Six men and six women were chosen.
During the trial, the prosecution attempted to persuade the court and jury that they must apply the law and not consider the plight of the defendant and his family. The defense attorney urged the court and jury to be lenient on the defendant because of his plight.
The jury voted unanimously, after 2-hours of deliberations, to find the defendant guilty. The court approved the non-binding finding of the jury. The jury also advised the court to suspend the jail sentence. The court approved the recommendation and suspended a 2 1/2 year jail sentence and ordered the defendant to complete 80 hours of community service.
- Not Guilty Verdict for U.S. Government Employee with U.S. 8th Army: Announcement
- English-Speaking Criminal Defense Team Lead by Retired Korean Presiding Judge
- Korea’s Criminal Procedure Act: Pre-Trial Detention in Korea
- Korean Government Official Prosecuted in U.S. for Violation of Korean Law? Application of Korean Law in U.S. Courts
- Good Criminal Lawyers in Korea Obtain Non-Guilty Verdicts
- Bail Granted in Korea for Alleged Violations of Korean Banking Laws
- Definition of Rape in Korea Elaborated on by the Korean Supreme Court: Criminal Law Basics
- Confession Prior to Arrest in Korea: Korean Sentencing Law Basics
- Preparation for Korean Police & Prosecutor Interrogations & Witness/Defendant Questioning at Korean Courts
- Required Traits of a Great Criminal Lawyer in Korea: Hiring a Defense Lawyer in South Korea