I recently was directed to an excellent source for information on intellectual property rights under Korean law. The U.S. Commercial Service Korea, a part of the U.S. Department of Commerce, has created and “IPR Toolkit” for Korea.
The Toolkit contains the best basic explanation, in English, available on Korean IPR. The pages can be found HERE.
The U.S. Commercial Services, correctly empathically states that “registering your IPR is your best strategy” and notes that “[f]oreign applicants are required to retain a licensed local attorney in order to prepare applications in Korean and to conduct necessary follow-up correspondence locally.”
Word to the wise, checkout the site and contact an attorney (preferably my firm) to register your IPR and if you are engaged in a Joint Venture make sure your attorney also contractually protects your IPR within the JVC.
- Korean Business/Service Marks Protection under the Unfair Competition Prevention and Trade Secret Protection Act
- Enforcing your Trademark Rights in Korea: IP Protection Strategies for Korea
- Negotiating a Joint Venture Agreement in Korea: Shareholder Agreements in Korea
- Entering into a Joint Venture/Partnership in South Korea?
- Renewal Rights/Terms for Commercial Leases in Korea Under Amended Commercial Building Lease Protection Act of Korea
- Merit System Protection Board Appeal Lawyers in Korea