Winston & Strawn LLP attorneys gave an enlightening presentation for Amcham today in Seoul, Korea. Attorneys James P. Durling and Daniel L. Porter discussed KORUS FTA and anti-dumping actions against LG Electronics and Samsung by Maytag.
What motivated me to write this post is a comment by James Durling, who emphatically noted that Republicans should consider dropping their plan to bundle the three pending U.S. FTAs in favor of pushing for the immediate vote on the KORUS FTA. Good point.
The Republicans are pushing to bundle the three FTAs, partly, out of a fear that the Columbia-US FTA may not get to a vote, in the near future, because of the political sensitivity of the Democratic Party to the ratification realities that are plaguing Columbia (strong labor union and violent opposition in Columbia).
The Republicans also wish, before the next election, to get President Obama to sign the FTAs to alleviate labor union scorn. U.S. labor unions,thus, will be unable to, successfully, pit Obama against the Republican nominee on the FTA issues.
One of the three trade agreements being ratisfied is better than none of the three being ratisfied.
Hopefully, the Republican party will consider the nation over political brinkmanship that will likely not help the Republicans prevail in presidential elections in two long years.
- Distribution Agreements in Korea: Crawl before you Walk
- Apple Infringed Samsung Patents According to U.S. ITC: Standard Essential Patents
- Guidelines on Rules of Employment & Guidelines on Fair Personnel Management Withdrawn by Korean Ministry of Employment
- Increased Scrutiny of Employers by Korean’s Ministry of Employment & Labor under President Moon’s Administration: HR Audit Needed by Korean Employment Lawyers
- National Assembly of Korea Hopeless Gridlock Explained
- Korea Due Diligence for Joint Ventures, Licensing, OEMs and Buying a Korean Company
- 52-Hour Workweek Delayed in Korea for SMEs: Korean Labor Law Update
- Contract Drafting in South Korea
- Small Business Compliance in Korea: No Not Only for the Big Boys
- Korean M & A Due Diligence Checklist: Mergers & Acquisitions Due Diligence in Korea