The Korean Fair Trade Commission (FTC) has approved the merger of Ebay Auction with Gmarket. The companies combined, based on last years numbers, will control more than 72% of the domestic online shopping market.
The remainder of the market is split, primarily by 11 Street (SK Telecom unit) and Interpark.
Ebay purchased Gmarket in 2009 for nearly USD 1.3 billion and was planning this merger, since the purchase.
- Mergers & Acquisitions in The Korean E-Commerce Market: Opportunities for Foreign Niche E-Commerce Sites
- Korean Merger Control and the Korean FTC
- Merger/Acquisition Opportunities in Korea: Lotte Korea Buys KT Car Rental from KT Corp.
- Proposed Amendments to the Monopoly Regulation and Fair Trade Law: 2023
- Capturing Chinese Tourist Money in Korea: Retail Opportunities in Korea
- Retail Business in Korea by Tom Coyner
- Abuse of Superior Bargaining Power Notification by the Korea Fair Trade Commission: Distributor Risks in Korea
- Beware of these Common cams in Korea
- Korea Increases Penalties For Data Breach and Unauthorized Transfer of Data: Korea Communications Commission
- Koreans Doing Business in and with New Zealand