Korea has implemented FTAs or like agreements with Chile, EFTA, ASEAN, Chile, India and now the EU. The Korea-EU FTA was implemented on July of 2011. I have already seen an increase in interest in entry by Europeans into the Korean market.
Korea is Europe’s fourth largest export destination behind the United States, Japan and China.
This is the first in a multipart article on the Korea-European Free Trade Agreement.
Custom Duties/Tariffs under the Korea-EU FTA for Items Entering Korea
- Cosmetics: Year 5: Duty Free (Presently 8%)
- Pharmaceuticals: Year 3: Duty Free (Presently 6% average)
- Medical Devices: Year 7: Duty Free (Presently 5% average)
- Agricultural: Year 3: 45% of Products Duty Free; Year 5: 65% of Products Duty Free; Year 10: 85% of Products Duty Free;Year 18: 95% of Products Duty Free. Tariffs High at Present and Vary Greatly Based on Product. Rice is protected.
- Chemicals: Year 5: Duty Free (Presently 6.2% average)
- Car Parts: Day 1: Duty Free (Presently 8%)
- Railroad Items: Year 5: Duty Free (Presently 5%)
- Large-Mid Cars: Year 3: Duty Free
- Small Cars: Year 5: Duty Free
- Textiles: Day 1: Nearly all Duty Free
- Iron/Steel: Year 3: Duty Free (Presently 7.2% average)
- Industrial Items: Year 5: Nearly All Duty Free
- Electronics/Machines: Day 1: 88% Duty Free (Presently 7.2% Average): Year 3: 97% Duty Free; Year 5: Nearly All Duty Free; Year 7: Duty Free
- Beer: Yearly Reduction of 3.7% over 7 years (Presently 30%)
- Whisky: Yearly Reduction 5% over 3 years (Presently 20%)
More good information on KorEU FTA to come. Links will be HERE.
Other articles that may be of interest:
- The British are Coming: U.K. Law Firms in Korea
- Korea-EU FTA: Country of Origin under the Kor-EU FTA
- Why are American Cars not Popular in Korea?: Decrease in Duties from FTA has not Helped Market Share
- Benefits to Korea in Free Trade Agreements with EU, ASEAN, US and Chile?
- Positive Effects of Korea-EU FTA on Korean Car Brands? No Says Korean Car Lobby
- Camry Prices in Korea May be Cheaper from Next Year: Customer Benefits of the KORUS FTA
- U.S. Imposes Steel Tariff on Korean Imports
- East Asia FTA: Korea, China and Japan?
- Australia Beef-Livestock Hit by Korea-U.S. FTA: Will Korea pen a FTA with Australia?
- Korea International Trade Orgaizations Chair calls for FTA with China
- Korea-China to Expedite Free Trade Talks
- Smuggling in Korea (밀수출입죄)