Korea has implemented FTAs or like agreements with Chile, EFTA, ASEAN, Chile, India and now the EU. The Korea-EU FTA was implemented on July of 2011. I have already seen an increase in interest in entry by Europeans into the Korean market.
Korea is Europe’s fourth largest export destination behind the United States, Japan and China.
This is the first in a multipart article on the Korea-European Free Trade Agreement.
Custom Duties/Tariffs under the Korea-EU FTA for Items Entering Korea
- Cosmetics: Year 5: Duty Free (Presently 8%)
- Pharmaceuticals: Year 3: Duty Free (Presently 6% average)
- Medical Devices: Year 7: Duty Free (Presently 5% average)
- Agricultural: Year 3: 45% of Products Duty Free; Year 5: 65% of Products Duty Free; Year 10: 85% of Products Duty Free;Year 18: 95% of Products Duty Free. Tariffs High at Present and Vary Greatly Based on Product. Rice is protected.
- Chemicals: Year 5: Duty Free (Presently 6.2% average)
- Car Parts: Day 1: Duty Free (Presently 8%)
- Railroad Items: Year 5: Duty Free (Presently 5%)
- Large-Mid Cars: Year 3: Duty Free
- Small Cars: Year 5: Duty Free
- Textiles: Day 1: Nearly all Duty Free
- Iron/Steel: Year 3: Duty Free (Presently 7.2% average)
- Industrial Items: Year 5: Nearly All Duty Free
- Electronics/Machines: Day 1: 88% Duty Free (Presently 7.2% Average): Year 3: 97% Duty Free; Year 5: Nearly All Duty Free; Year 7: Duty Free
- Beer: Yearly Reduction of 3.7% over 7 years (Presently 30%)
- Whisky: Yearly Reduction 5% over 3 years (Presently 20%)
More good information on KorEU FTA to come. Links will be HERE.
Other articles that may be of interest:
- The British are Coming: U.K. Law Firms in Korea
- Korea-EU FTA: Country of Origin under the Kor-EU FTA
- Positive Effects of Korea-EU FTA on Korean Car Brands? No Says Korean Car Lobby
- U.S. Imposes Steel Tariff on Korean Imports
- Korea International Trade Orgaizations Chair calls for FTA with China
- Korea-China to Expedite Free Trade Talks
- Smuggling in Korea (밀수출입죄)
- Part-time Worker Annual Paid Leave Obligations under the Korean Labor Standards Act
- How post-FTA Wholesale and Retail Markets Work in Korea
- UN Report: Korea’s Latest Successes and Shortcomings
- Tax Incentives May Decrease for Foreign Companies doing Business in Korea: Tax Law Updates
- South Korea and Vietnam Negotiate FTA: Korea’s Nuclear Exports