This past Monday, the liberal opposition parties forcefully occupied the meeting room of the National Assembly Foreign Affairs, Trade and Unification Committee, the Committee authorized to vote on the KORUS FTA deal. Some opposition members have vowed to forcefully oppose the vote.
In this situation, the ruling party and Grand National Party (GNP) have two viable options:
- The Committee can open a “special committee session” with the entire Korean National assembly; or
- the Speaker can call a plenary session of the National Assembly.
If either occurs, expect brawls at the National Assembly. If either measure is not adopted by the GNP, then, the bill may be dead.
The bill will be enacted into law 60 days after an affirmative vote. The GNP has vowed to have the bill effective by January 1 of 2012.
- KOR-US FTA Passed this Thursday?
- Saenuri Party Maintains Control of Korean National Assembly. Philippine-born has been elected to the National Assembly
- Korean Election Night Update (April 12, 2012 – 1AM)
- ABA Dispute Resolution Spring Conference with Senator George Mitchell and Judge Richard Posner
- Korea Passes Cap-and-Trade Carbon Trading System
- Korea’s National Trade Commission Awards Damages to Local Company for Damages from Korea-EU FTA
- Why are so Many Koreans Opposed to Free Trade Agreements?
- Mandatory Retirement Age of 60 may be Mandatory for Most Companies in Korea
- Korea-US FTA to be Effective as Of March 15, 2012
- Korea Legal News for the Week of October 6, 2013