This past Monday, the liberal opposition parties forcefully occupied the meeting room of the National Assembly Foreign Affairs, Trade and Unification Committee, the Committee authorized to vote on the KORUS FTA deal. Some opposition members have vowed to forcefully oppose the vote.
In this situation, the ruling party and Grand National Party (GNP) have two viable options:
- The Committee can open a “special committee session” with the entire Korean National assembly; or
- the Speaker can call a plenary session of the National Assembly.
If either occurs, expect brawls at the National Assembly. If either measure is not adopted by the GNP, then, the bill may be dead.
The bill will be enacted into law 60 days after an affirmative vote. The GNP has vowed to have the bill effective by January 1 of 2012.
- Is the Korea-US FTA Dead at the Korean National Assembly
- National Assembly of Korea Hopeless Gridlock Explained
- Korea’s Carbon Credit Inititative: Korea Fastest Growing Producer of Carbon in Developed World
- KOR-US FTA Passed this Thursday?
- Saenuri Party Maintains Control of Korean National Assembly. Philippine-born has been elected to the National Assembly
- KOR-US FTA to Pass Korean National Assembly by End of October
- Is the Korea-U.S. FTA Dead at the Korean National Assembly? Watch the Streets.
- South Korea moves to Remove Statute of Limitation on Murder
- Korean Election Night Update (April 12, 2012 – 1AM)
- KOR-US FTA Passed the Korean National Assembly Today