South Korea has ranked a mediocre 69.9 (moderately free) behind major regional allies and behind nearly 30 countries that are “free” or “mostly free.” Korea ranks, rightfully, very low in the categories “freedom from corruption” and “labor freedom.”
Korea has an excellent ranking in business freedom and a mediocre ranking in all other major categories. There has been no major change in Korea’s ranking for many years.
rank country overall score change from previous
1 Hong Kong 89.9 0.2
2 Singapore 87.5 0.3
3 Australia 83.1 0.6
4 New Zealand 82.1 -0.2
5 Taiwan 71.9 1.1
6 Macau 71.8 -1.3
7 Japan 71.6 -1.2
8 South Korea 69.9 0.1
9 Malaysia 66.4 0.1
10 Thailand 64.9 0.2
- Korean Economy Ranked as a Moderately Free Economy by Heritage Foundation
- Korea Needs a Rugby Team: Sports as a Driving Force for Economic Growth in Advanced Economies like Korea by Daniel Gardner
- 10 Top Cities in Asia for FDI in 2012- One Korean City on the List
- Opportunities for Australian and New Zealand Business in Korea
- Global Innovation Index: Korea Scores 14th in World
- Hanwha Korea Loses Battle in New York Court over Forum Non Conveniens Issue
- Not So Free Speech over the Internet in Korea?
- Australia Beef-Livestock Hit by Korea-U.S. FTA: Will Korea pen a FTA with Australia?
- Koreans Doing Business in and with New Zealand
- Inside Korea’s Two-Tiered Economy by Tom Coyner