Some bad news for the Korean bond market. A law passed in 2011 entitled the Special Tax Treatment Control Law of Korea makes, for many investors, the Korea bond market much less attractive when compared to the bond market of regional rivals.
Non-Korean currency denominated bonds issued in 2012 will no longer receive tax exempt status in Korea if they are payable to any company with an establishment in Korea or were issued in Korea.
This and other punitive-like taxes were passed in 2011 as a populist reaction to foreign-currency established companies doing business in Korea that were alleged to not be paying enough taxes in Korea and were gaining too much profits from doing business in Korea. Many of these targeted companies were responsible for turning around failing companies.
The alleged foreign-friendly Lee Administration has proven not to be as foreign friendly as alleged by the more liberal media sources.
Recent articles on Korean Tax Law:
- Korea Tax Tribunal on the Adjustment of Value of Imported Goods and Transfer Pricing
- Korean Corporate Tax Changes of 2011
- Korea Islamic Bond Tax Bill May is Doomed because of Fundamentalist Christians
IPG will be updating the readers of The Korean Law Blog, The Asian Law Blog and The China Law & Business Blog on updates to China, Bangladesh, Cambodia, Korea the Philippines, Vietnam tax law over the next couple of weeks on the IPG’s blogs.
- Tax Qualified Mergers in Korea: Amended 80% Rule for Triangle Mergers
- 17 Percent Flat Tax for Foreign Nationals Residing in Korea: Korean Tax Amendments for 2013
- Korean Tax Laws on Entertainment Companies in Korea: Overseas Tax Deductions
- Filing your U.S. Taxes as an Expat in Korea: Foreign Earned Income Tax Exclusion
- Korean Real Estate Acquisition Taxes for Purchase of Real Estate in Korea
- Korea May Not Eat Apple’s Double Irish with a Dutch Sandwich Tax Strategy
- Korean Tax Risk of Foreign Corporation Deemed “Actual Business Management Locale” within Korea: Korea Tax Law Basics
- Special 20% Consumption Tax for Designer Bags Bought in Korea Suspended until 2014
- Korean Tax Law Amendment Press Release by Korean Government
- Can a Foreign Company be Deemed a Domestic Company for Tax Purposes and Taxed on Worldwide Income?