The Korean National Assembly has passed, with the support of the ruling and opposition parties, a bill to implement a carbon trading system. Korea is one of the fastest-growing emitters of greenhouses gases in the industrialized world because of, inter alia, an over reliance on the use of coal, inefficient use of resources and lack of a consistent environmental management program. Korea, according to the International Energy Agency, was the 8th largest carbon emitter in the word in 2009.
The Korean cap-and-trade system will be effective from 2015.
There are many issues that are not addressed in the bill in Korea. Many of the major details have been delegated to the president or will be addressed in future bills including:
- Availability of International Offsets
- Calculation for determining the amount of carbon emission
- Feed-in-tariffs for renewable
- Renewable energy quota
- Enforcement Mechanism
- Implementation of a Carbon Trading Market
We expect the system will benefit energy management and like companies. Many of the large international players, in this industry, either have small or no footholds in the Korean market.
The penalty for non-compliance is three times the prevailing market price with a cap of KRW 100,000 per ton.
Sean Hayes, IPG’s Co-Chair of the Korea Practice Team, may be contacted at: [email protected]
IPG’s Energy & Natural Resources Team is one of the leading and most experienced teams in Asia because of working in Asia for over a decade on some of the most noteworthy energy and natural resources projects.
- Carbon Trading Market Established in Korea: 2nd Largest Market in World
- Environmental Impact Statements in Korea: New Korean Environmental Impact Assessment Regime
- “Fine Dust” as Socially-Generated Natural Disaster – Amendment to the Framework Act on the Management of Disasters and Safety 2019
- Bithump Crypto-Currency Exchange in Korea to Ban Trading in 11 Countries
- Why are Legal Fees at Korean Law Firms Higher than New York and London: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
- Korea Blockchain Law Society Founded: Korean Crptocurrency Law Updates
- Overview of North Korean Legal System & Law Online
- Korea Expands Definition of Discriminatory Treatment for Non-Regular Workers: Employment & Labor Law Update
- Weekly Korean Legal News from International Law Firm – IPG Legal
- English-language Patent Filing System in Korea Approved by Supreme Court