The Seoul Central District Prosecutors’ Office has announced that they have arrested the owner of a South Korean-based company and its employees for violation of the National Security Law. The owner of the company was arrested and detained and the owner’s older brother and the employees of the company were arrested, but were released pending further investigation.
The arrests were, apparently, in relation to the recent cyber attacks by North Korea and, also, the alleged operation by the arrested of an illegal gambling site, futures trading site and spam email program.
The prosecution has alleged that the technology for operating these sites and programs were obtained from a North Korean hacker that works for the North Korean governments Reunggrado Information Center and that part of the profits was shared by these individuals with the North Korean government or agents of the North Korean government.
Reunggrado Information Center may have been behind the recent cyber attacks.
As I have noted in numerous articles in local vernaculars, the North Korean government has agents and sympathizers throughout South Korea. Hey – one even ran for president.
Is this reality reason enough to maintain the National Security Law?
Sean Hayes may be contacted at: [email protected]
Sean Hayes is co-chair of the Korea Practice Team at IPG Legal. He is the only non-Korean to have worked as an attorney for the Korean court system (Constitutional Court of Korea) and one of the first non-Koreans to be a regular member of a Korean law faculty.
- South Korea’s Military Conscription Law Challenged by Religious Conscientious Objectors
- Business with North Korea: The Growing North Korean Economy
- Overview of North Korean Legal System & Law Online
- What can Korea Learn From Ireland? by Senior Advisor Tom Coyner
- Amendment to the Korean Protection of Military Bases and Installations Act 2019
- The Korean Law Blog cited by the Washington Post on the Freedom of the Press in Korea
- Korea Increases Penalties For Data Breach and Unauthorized Transfer of Data: Korea Communications Commission
- Korean Court Upholds Expulsion of Law Student at Judicial Research & Training Institute for Adultery
- Defamation on the Internet is a Criminal Offense in Korea
- Korea’s New Electronic Passport Without Resident Registration Number in 2020