It is illegal to be a private investigator, tattoo artist or chiropractor in Korea. Of course, Korea has private investigators, tattoo artists and chiropractors. Thus, those practicing these occupations in Korea face criminal prosecutions and fines.
Additionally, the clients of those practicing these occupations are not safeguarded by the typical administrative agency regulations that serve to protect these individuals.
Some issues have occurred with regard to private investigators. Some have utilized tactics that many consider less than ethical. These criticisms may be lessened with the regulation of the profession.
I believe in the near future that tattoo artists and private investigators will become legal occupations, but I believe you will see a vigorous fight from massage therapists (anma- blind practitioners), pharmacists and doctors towards legislation of the chiropractic profession.
Some lawyers are against the private investigator profession, but in my own straw pole I found no Korean attorney that is against the profession if the profession is monitored by an agency not controlled by those within the profession.
What do you think?
Sean Hayes may be contacted at: [email protected]
Sean Hayes is co-chair of the Korea Practice Team at IPG Legal. He is the only non-Korean to have worked as an attorney for the Korean court system (Constitutional Court of Korea) and one of the first non-Koreans to be a regular member of a Korean law faculty.
- Private Detectives, Tattoo Artistists and Chiropractors in Korea Will Become Legal Professions?
- Medical Malpractice Arbitration System in Korea: A Good Option for Many Plaintiffs
- Korean Medical Malpractice Law and the Medical Malpractice Arbitration System: Suing a doctor in Korea
- Korea Legal News for the Week of June 9, 2013
- Establishing Business with Korea via an Agent: Korean Agency Law Basics
- Senior Prosecutor Arrested for Bribery in Korea
- Proposed Amendment to Real Estate Development Business Act of Korea: Rating of Real Estate Development Projects
- Increased Scrutiny of Employers by Korean’s Ministry of Employment & Labor under President Moon’s Administration: HR Audit Needed by Korean Employment Lawyers
- Korean Entrapment Law: Korean Criminal Procedure Law Basics
- Korean Medical Malpractice Arbitration Law