The U.S. Supreme Court, in a 5-4 holding that was split on the typical ideological camps, declared unconstitutional the U.S. Defense of Marriage Act.
The Defense of Marriage Act denied federal benefits to same-sex spouses. In declaring the law unconstitutional the majority opinion by Justice Kennedy opined that the law simply; “writes inequality into the entire United States code.” Justice Kennedy went on to opine that the law, in of itself, is “demeaning” and “humiliating” to gays and lesbians.
Justice Scalia, in dissent, noted that: “Favoring man-woman marriage no more ‘demeans’ and ‘humiliates’ other sexual relationships than favoring our Constitution demeans and humiliates the governmental systems of other countries.”
The largest affect for non-Americans will be the benefit of a U.S. spousal visa and permanent residency. Thus, for example, a Korean man that marries an American man will be eligible for a K-1 Fiance visa and permanent residency.
Sean Hayes may be contacted at: SeanHayes@ipglegal.com.
Sean Hayes is co-chair of the Korea Practice Team at IPG Legal. He is the only non-Korean to have worked as an attorney for the Korean court system (Constitutional Court of Korea) and one of the first non-Koreans to be a regular member of a Korean law faculty.
- Changes to the Korean Immigration System means more Opportunities for Single Parents to Work in Korea
- Does Korea have Common Law Marriage?: Korean Common Law Marriage (De Facto Marriage) Basics
- South Korea’s Adultery Law found Unconstitutional by Constitutional Court of Korea – Let the Parties Begin
- File Your U.S. Taxes in Korea: Earned Income Tax Exclusion/FBAR
- Getting a Divorce in South Korea as a Foreigner (Korean Divorce Law)
- Amendment to the Korean Immigration Act Supports Foreign Children in Cases of Child Abuse
- Korean Defense Policy under Korean President Moon Jae-in’s Administration
- Can Foreigners without Marriages Registered in Korea Divorce in Korea?
- English-Speaking Criminal Defense Team Lead by Retired Korean Presiding Judge
- South Korea Offers a Variety of Business Visas for those Wishing to Conduct Business in Korea