The U.S. Supreme Court, in a 5-4 holding that was split on the typical ideological camps, declared unconstitutional the U.S. Defense of Marriage Act.
The Defense of Marriage Act denied federal benefits to same-sex spouses. In declaring the law unconstitutional the majority opinion by Justice Kennedy opined that the law simply; “writes inequality into the entire United States code.” Justice Kennedy went on to opine that the law, in of itself, is “demeaning” and “humiliating” to gays and lesbians.
Justice Scalia, in dissent, noted that: “Favoring man-woman marriage no more ‘demeans’ and ‘humiliates’ other sexual relationships than favoring our Constitution demeans and humiliates the governmental systems of other countries.”
The largest affect for non-Americans will be the benefit of a U.S. spousal visa and permanent residency. Thus, for example, a Korean man that marries an American man will be eligible for a K-1 Fiance visa and permanent residency.
Sean Hayes may be contacted at: [email protected]
Sean Hayes is co-chair of the Korea Practice Team at IPG Legal. He is the only non-Korean to have worked as an attorney for the Korean court system (Constitutional Court of Korea) and one of the first non-Koreans to be a regular member of a Korean law faculty.
- Changes to the Korean Immigration System means more Opportunities for Single Parents to Work in Korea
- Amendment to the Korean Immigration Act Supports Foreign Children in Cases of Child Abuse
- The Signs of a Great Criminal Lawyer in Korea | English-Speaking Criminal Defense Attorney in Seoul
- Deportation after Criminal Conviction in Korea: Korea Immigration Law Basics
- Immigration updates for Foreigners In Korea: Expiration of Visas
- Online Immigration Visit Reservation System to be Implemented in All Immigration Offices starting April 1, 2021
- Constitutional Court Upholds Cellphone Ban While Driving
- Belgian Ambassador’s Wife on Assault Charge: Hiring a Proactive Defense Lawyer in Korea
- Exit Ban of Foreigners in Korea for Not Paying Taxes, Custom Duties or Violation of Law: Immigration Law Basics
- Amendment to the Korean Protection of Military Bases and Installations Act 2019