According to statistics from the World Bank, Korea is second to only China in the number of anti-dumping lawsuits filed against Korean companies (Chinese companies accounted for 28.7%; Korea 10.7%; U.S. 3.5%; and Japan 3%).
It is advisable for clients engaged in anti-dumping cases to confirm the veracity of the data presented to the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC). The ITC have few resources to confirm the data.
We were retained, last year, for an anti-dumping case against a Korean conglomerate. We have seen a drastic increase in the number of clients interested in taking on Korean and Chinese companies alleged to be dumping products into the United States. We expect the number of cases will increase after a few successful cases by U.S. and European companies against Korean and Chinese companies.
Sean Hayes may be contacted at: [email protected]
Sean Hayes is co-chair of the Korea Practice Team at IPG Legal. He is first non-Korean attorney to have worked for the Korean court system (Constitutional Court of Korea) and one of the first non-Koreans to be a regular member of a Korean law faculty.
- Fiscal Transparency in International Business: International Business Structures
- Korea’s Samsung One of the Top 10 Most Innovative Companies: Booz & Co.
- Finding a Korean Distributor: Top 10 Things to Know Before you Jump into Bed with an Agent in Korea
- Apple vs. Samsung: “Koreans are furious at China for copying our products. But when Korea does the same, Koreans defend the action. That is a highly distorted form of patriotism. When a company takes the wrong path, it is the public’s job to correct it.”
- Regulating the Korean Government Way: Consumer vs. Small Retailers
- Korean Distributor Sales Territory or Customer Restrictions in Korea: Korean Distributor law Agreements in Korea
- English-speaking Korean lawyers and International Lawyers at International Law Firm in Korea discussing issues of Korean Law
- Antitrust/Competition Consent Orders in Korea
- Abuse of Market Dominance in Korea: Competition Law in Korea
- CEO/Chairman of Chaebols Serving Time in Jail in Korea?