It was recently reported that Gangwon province on the east coast of South Korea is planning to open up a nude beach in order to attract tourists. Government officials in Gangwon province have been mulling the proposed beach for several years now, and are once again floating the idea publicly to see how South Korean citizens will respond.
According to an article on CNN’s website:
“Although the east coast has more beautiful, sandy beaches, the water tends to be colder, the season shorter and the distance from Seoul is greater than the beaches to the west.”
For some reason, Gangwon Province just can’t give up the idea of opening a nude beach. Gangwon tried to open a female-only nude beach in 2005, but public outcry led to the plan being scrapped. I bet that times have not yet changed enough and an outcry by the public will lead to the idea being scrapped. Jeju Island had a similar result when it tried to open a nude beach in 2009.
Is 2013 going to finally be the year that South Korea gets a nude beach? To read more, check out the article by CNN here: South Korea to get its First Nude Beach?
Sean Hayes may be contacted at: [email protected]
Sean Hayes is co-chair of the Korea Practice Team and Entertainment, Media and New Tech Law Team at IPG Legal. He is the first non-Korean attorney to have worked for the Korean court system (Constitutional Court of Korea) and one of the first non-Koreans to be a regular member of a Korean law faculty.
He assists clients in their contentious, non-contentious and business developments needs in Korea and China.
- Korean Legal News for the Week of October 27, 2013
- Korean Legal News for the Week of November 03, 2013
- South Koreans Ask U.S. to Reconsider Timing of Military Handoff by Tom Coyner
- South Korea still Required to use Internet Explorer due to 1999 Law
- South Korea Puts Near-Total Ban on Japanese Fish Imports Opening Opportunities for other Nation Exporters
- Korea Legal News for the Week of July 28, 2013
- South Korea Investment in the Irish Horse Industry
- UN Report: Korea’s Latest Successes and Shortcomings
- Korean Legal News for the Week of November 17, 2013
- South Korea and Vietnam Negotiate FTA: Korea’s Nuclear Exports