Chang-Shin Park a Jeonju diocese senior priest is being investigated by the Joenju District Prosecutors Office. The priest made peculiar remarks defending the 2010 shelling by North Korea of a South Korean occupied island on the West Coast of Korea. The shelling led to the death of two Korean civilians and a Korean Marine. The argument justified the shelling by noting that North Korea, inter alia, is just protecting its territory as South Korea is doing on Dokdo Island.
A priest justifying the killing of civilians by North Korea for purposes of defending tiny islets seems a little peculiar to this observer and seems to show that Korea has a radical liberal element that may be more pro North than South.
The comments by Chang-Shin Park was slammed by other priests and also the nation’s president. A group of priests are considering reporting the actions of Park to the Vatican.
Seemingly, the priest would be prosecuted under the National Security Law.
Sean Hayes may be contacted at: [email protected]
Sean Hayes is co-chair of the Korea Practice Team and Entertainment, Media and New Tech Law Team at IPG Legal. He is the first non-Korean attorney to have worked for the Korean court system (Constitutional Court of Korea) and one of the first non-Koreans to be a regular member of a Korean law faculty. He assists clients in their contentious, non-contentious and business developments needs in Korea and China.
- Korea’s New President and the North Korean Issue by Tom Coyner
- How I Discovered that Smoking Weed is Legal in North Korea – by Tom Coyner
- South Korean’s Aiding North Korean Hackers Arrested in South Korea by Seoul Central District Prosecutors’ Office
- North Korea Amends Foreign Investment Law
- The North Korean Children Welfare Act of 2012 Signed into Law in the States
- Why we should care about North Korea?: North’s Harsh Reality by Senior Advisor Tom Coyner
- Should your Company in South Korea be Concerned About the Threats from North Korea
- China Rejects North Korea Law on Developing of Two Border Islands
- Business with North Korea: The Growing North Korean Economy
- Overview of North Korean Legal System & Law Online