The Park Administration as filed to the Constitutional Court of Korea a complaint to disband the leftist UPP. The petition claims that the party engaged in pro-North Korea activities. The case, also, calls for the immediate suspension of six of the lawmakers of the party.
Justice Minister Hwang Kyo-ahn noted to the press that:
“We have determined that the UPP’s platform and its objectives are intended to favor North Korean socialism, which goes against the free democratic basic order of our Constitution and that the activities of the RO (Revolutionary Organization) which forms the party’s core, were in line with North Korea’s strategy to revolutionize the South.”
This is not mere politics. Evidence exists, including tape recordings, that establish that a leader of the UPP called on members to prepare for a war to assist North Korea in overthrowing North Korea.
At least six of the nine justices at the Constitutional Court must vote to disband the party for the party to be banned.
What do you think?
Sean Hayes may be contacted at: [email protected]
Sean Hayes is co-chair of the Korea Practice Team and Entertainment, Media and New Tech Law Team at IPG Legal. He is the first non-Korean attorney to have worked for the Korean court system (Constitutional Court of Korea) and one of the first non-Koreans to be a regular member of a Korean law faculty. He assists clients in their contentious, non-contentious and business developments needs in Korea and China.
- Korean Administrative Court Stands Up for the Right to Assemble: Korea Queer Culture Festival
- CLIENT ALERT: Advice to the Press, Bloggers & Corporations Concerning Free Speech Protection in Korea
- Korea Increases Penalties For Data Breach and Unauthorized Transfer of Data: Korea Communications Commission
- “Fine Dust” as Socially-Generated Natural Disaster – Amendment to the Framework Act on the Management of Disasters and Safety 2019
- Selection of Justices at the Constitutional Court Fundamentally Flawed?
- Constitutional Court Upholds Cellphone Ban While Driving
- Korean Court Upholds Expulsion of Law Student at Judicial Research & Training Institute for Adultery
- Korean Cryptocurrency Case Filed to the Korean Constitutional Court: Korean Bitcoin Updates
- South Korea’s Military Conscription Law Challenged by Religious Conscientious Objectors
- Korea is a Country of the Future – and Always Will Be by John Lee