The Park Administration as filed to the Constitutional Court of Korea a complaint to disband the leftist UPP. The petition claims that the party engaged in pro-North Korea activities. The case, also, calls for the immediate suspension of six of the lawmakers of the party.
Justice Minister Hwang Kyo-ahn noted to the press that:
“We have determined that the UPP’s platform and its objectives are intended to favor North Korean socialism, which goes against the free democratic basic order of our Constitution and that the activities of the RO (Revolutionary Organization) which forms the party’s core, were in line with North Korea’s strategy to revolutionize the South.”
This is not mere politics. Evidence exists, including tape recordings, that establish that a leader of the UPP called on members to prepare for a war to assist North Korea in overthrowing North Korea.
At least six of the nine justices at the Constitutional Court must vote to disband the party for the party to be banned.
What do you think?
Sean Hayes may be contacted at: SeanHayes@ipglegal.com.
Sean Hayes is co-chair of the Korea Practice Team and Entertainment, Media and New Tech Law Team at IPG Legal. He is the first non-Korean attorney to have worked for the Korean court system (Constitutional Court of Korea) and one of the first non-Koreans to be a regular member of a Korean law faculty. He assists clients in their contentious, non-contentious and business developments needs in Korea and China.
- Korean Constitutional Court Strikes Down North Korean Anti-Pamphlet Law
- Executive Compensation Necessary to be Publicly Disclosed in Korea: Korean Commercial Law
- Business with North Korea: The Growing North Korean Economy
- Arbitration against Korean Government Agencies in Korea: Korean Arbitration Law Basics.
- A Franchisor may be Unable to Prosecute a Franchisee for Embezzlement in Korea
- How I Discovered that Smoking Weed is Legal in North Korea – by Tom Coyner
- Weekly Korean Legal News from International Law Firm – IPG Legal
- Overview of North Korean Legal System & Law Online
- New Korean Corruption Investigative Unit Established to Investigate High-Ranking Public Officials in Korea
- Release of an Arrested Vessel in Korea: Maritime Liens in Korea