The Korean Intellectual Property Office (KIPO) and the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) officially announced a Pilot Program in which KIPO will classify patent documents with the Cooperative Patent Classification (CPC). We congratulate KIPO for this bold and progressive move.
The system is managed by the European Patent Office (EPO) and the USPTO. The system created over 250,000 classification based on the International Patent Classification system. The benefit of the new system is that it allows a search worldwide based on these standard classifications. For those doing prior art searches (yes – I am forced to do this on occasion) – harmonization of classification systems is warmly welcomed.
For an understanding of the CPC classification system please take a look at the CPC’s execellent website at: Cooperative Patent Classification.
Sean Hayes may be contacted at: [email protected]
Sean Hayes is co-chair of the Korea Practice Team and Entertainment, Media and New Tech Law Team at IPG Legal. He is the first non-Korean attorney to have worked for the Korean court system (Constitutional Court of Korea) and one of the first non-Koreans to be a regular member of a Korean law faculty. He assists clients in their contentious, non-contentious and business developments needs in Korea and China.
- Amendment to Korea’s Intellectual Property Registration System: Korea IP Law Updates
- Filing for a Patent in Korea: Basics of Korean Patent Law
- Korean IP Infringement Jurisdiction Centralized at Five Korean District Courts and the Patent Court of Korea: Korean Intellectual Property Case Updates
- Korean Patent Court’s Intellectual Property Infringement Guidelines
- Licensee has Standing to Challenge the Validity of a Patent in Korea. Korean Licensing & Royalty Law Updates
- Korean Distributor Sales Territory or Customer Restrictions in Korea: Korean Distributor law Agreements in Korea
- Starting a Company in Korea: Establishing a Foreign Capital-Invested Korean Company, Branch or Liaison Office
- Korean Patent Law’s Trade Secret Protection: Amendment to Trade Secret Law in Korea
- Searching Trademark & Service Marks in Korea: Register your Trademarks/Service Marks Prior to Doing Business in Korea
- Korean Manufacturing/Sub-Contractor Agreement Payment Terms Matter: Don’t fall for the “Service” Trap