One of the most significant issues for tourists visiting Korea, because of the drastic increase in tourism over the past few years, has been the lack of adequate accommodation.
Seoul is notorious for having, during peak times of the year, a lack of adequate business class rooms. The situation is even more dire in many of the more remote areas.
The recent implementation of the Special Act for the Expansion of Tourism Accommodation Facilities is intended to help resolve this issues. The Act’s most significant benefits includes:
- Extending the maximum period for a lease of a hotel facility to 30 years from the present five years;
- Decreasing the amount of parking spaces required in a hotel facility;
- Increasing, in some cases, of the maximum allowed area of usable building space for hotel projects; and
- Decreasing the amount of rent for land leased from the government to private enterprises for the purposes of building a hotel.
Sean Hayes may be contacted at: [email protected]
Sean Hayes is co-chair of the Korea Practice Team at IPG Legal. He is the only non-Korean to have worked as an attorney for the Korean court system (Constitutional Court of Korea) and one of the first non-Koreans to be a regular member of a Korean law faculty.
- Korea Focuses on Greater Control over Imported Food – Amendment to the Special Act on Imported Food Safety Control 2019
- Renewal Rights/Terms for Commercial Leases in Korea Under Amended Commercial Building Lease Protection Act of Korea
- Increased Scrutiny of Employers by Korean’s Ministry of Employment & Labor under President Moon’s Administration: HR Audit Needed by Korean Employment Lawyers
- Small Business Compliance in Korea: No Not Only for the Big Boys
- Business Opportunities in Korea for Entertainment Companies
- Korean Act on Special Cases Concerning the Establishment and Operation of Internet Banks
- Korea’s Occupational Safety and Health Act Amendments for 2018 (OSHA Korea Updates)
- Carbon Trading Market Established in Korea: 2nd Largest Market in World
- Korea New Exchange (KONEX) Basics
- Amendment to Korea’s Occupational Safety and Health Act in 2019