The survey, only, polled 134 suspects and, only, for a five week period. It would be interesting to see how many of the suspects plead innocent. I would assume most of these defendants plead guilty, thus, the role of the public defender was not as significant of a role as a case when a defendant is pleading guilty.
A few interesting results from the survey:
- 104 of respondents (77.6%) noted that the appointed lawyer “was a great help to defendants”
- 28 respondents (20.8%), noted that the appointed lawyer “was not that helpful.”
- 100 respondents (82%) noted that the appointed attorney “answered requests and advised faithful.”
A few more articles that may be of interest:
Sean Hayes may be contacted at: [email protected] or via the numbers shown to the left. Sean Hayes is co-chair of the Korea Practice Team at IPG Legal. He is the first non-Korean attorney to have worked for the Korean court system (Constitutional Court of Korea) and one of the first non-Koreans to be a regular member of a Korean law faculty. He assists clients in their contentious, non-contentious and business developments needs in Korea and China. He has, recently, been ranked as one of only two non-Korean attorneys as a Top Attorney working in Korea by AsiaLaw.
- Public Defenders in Korea: 77.6% of Defendants Satisfied with Public Defenders
- New Korean Corruption Investigative Unit Established to Investigate High-Ranking Public Officials in Korea
- The Signs of a Great Criminal Lawyer in Korea | English-Speaking Criminal Defense Attorney in Seoul
- English-Speaking Criminal Defense Lawyers in Korea: Defense Lawyers to Hire and Not to Hire?
- Korean Fugitives on the Run: Getting more Difficult with Change of Law
- English-Speaking Criminal Defense Team Lead by Retired Korean Presiding Judge
- Required Traits of a Great Criminal Lawyer in Korea: Hiring a Defense Lawyer in South Korea
- Last week’s Recap of the Top Legal Headlines in South Korea for the week of August 2, 2021:
- Last week’s Recap of the Top Legal Headlines in South Korea for the week of July 19, 2021:
- Last week’s Recap of the Top Legal Headlines in South Korea for the week of July 26, 2021: