Cheong Wa Dae (Korea’s Office of the President) has been instrumental in the filing of 13 lawsuits against media sources. Six cases are still pending including cases against reporters/media from: Hankyoreh (Korean Liberal-leaning newspaper); Segye Ilbo (Korean Conservative-leaning newspaper); Chosun Ilbo (Korean Conservative-leaning newspaper); Sankei Shimbun (Japanese Conservative-leaning newspaper); CBS News; and A Sisa.
The majority of the cases were filed by officials at Cheong Wa Dae or by a conservative civil group that supports President Park Geun-hye.
Reporters, corporate PR departments and bloggers please be aware that, in most cases, the truth, in Korea, is not a defense to a criminal or civil defamation charge.
In these changing times, in Korea, it is best to consult with an attorney concerning any news you intend to report on concerning issues that Cheong Wa Dae considers vital. Please obtain an attorney with significant experience in Constitutional Law and litigation. Your corporate attorney may not be the best choice.
Sean Hayes may be contacted at: SeanHayes@ipglegal.com.
Sean Hayes is co-chair of the Korea Practice Team at IPG Legal. He is the first non-Korean attorney to have worked for the Korean court system (Constitutional Court of Korea) and one of the first non-Koreans to be a regular member of a Korean law faculty. Sean is ranked, for Korea, as one of only two non-Korean lawyers as a Top Attorney by AsiaLaw.
- CLIENT ALERT: Advice to the Press, Bloggers & Corporations Concerning Free Speech Protection in Korea
- The Korean Law Blog cited by the Washington Post on the Freedom of the Press in Korea
- Weekly Korean Legal News From International Law Firm – IPG Legal for the Week of July 21, 2014
- Opposition to Justice Lee Dong-Hup to lead the Constitutional Court is Ridiculous Liberal Hogwash
- Constitutional Crisis in the Making in Korea
- Korea’s Anti-corruption/Anti-Graft Law: Kim Young-ran Law Implementation in Korea
- Export of Korean Nuclear Technology Abroad: Netherlands Inks Deal with Korea for a Reactor Upgrade
- Execution/Enforcement of American, European & other Nation Court Judgments in Korean Courts
- Weekly Korean Legal News From International Law Firm – IPG Legal for the Week of July 14, 2014
- Weekly Korean Legal News From International Law Firm – IPG Legal for the Week of July 28, 2014