Regrettably, many Korean insurance companies, in Korea, are less than generous in offering settlements to unrepresented parties in injuries sustained by car, trucks, taxis and trucks. The various Taxi Associations’ insurance coverages are, particularly, notorious.
The Korean insurance companies utilize an internal calculation method that leads to a settlement compensation amount that, often, is laughable at best. The claims adjusters, at Korean insurance companies, are great at getting victims of motor vehicle accidents and other accidents, in Korea, to settle matters.
Often, the claim adjusters will meet the accident victims in the hospital and use psychological tactics to encourage the accident victim to settle the matter for an amount much less than what would be obtained via a court judgment or negotiation with a Korean attorney.
For modest amounts of damages, an attorney in Korea may not be a cost that is justified, however, for any matter that has lead to a loss of work, permanent injuries or time in the hospital it is, often, advisable to hire an attorney.
We, strongly, recommend not signing any document related to the accident prior to consulting with an attorney. Many attorneys are happy to review your matter at no initial cost.
Sean Hayes may be contacted at: [email protected]
Sean Hayes is co-chair of the Korea Practice Team at IPG Legal. He is the first non-Korean attorney to have worked for the Korean court system (Constitutional Court of Korea) and one of the first non-Koreans to be a regular member of a Korean law faculty. Sean is ranked, for Korea, as one of only two non-Korean lawyers as a Top Attorney by AsiaLaw.
- Waivers of Liability in Korea: Civil Liability Basics
- Korean Product Liability Act Amended to Include Punitive Damages & a Relaxed Burden of Proof
- Korean Medical Malpractice Arbitration Law
- Korean Statute of Limitation in Civil Cases in Korea
- Finally All Criminal Cases to Be Disclosed to Public in Korea
- English-Speaking Arbitration Attorneys in Korea
- Hanwha Korea Loses Battle in New York Court over Forum Non Conveniens Issue
- Liquidated Damages Clauses Upheld by Korean Courts
- Safety Measures in Korean School Buses in Korea via the Amended Road Traffic Act of Korea
- Liquidated Damages v. Penalties in Korean contracts