A great lawyer is hard to find – a lawyer is too hard to lose.
The best lawyers, in Korea, often don’t work for the ubiquitous/”leading” law firms, because of Korean realities. This is known by many Koreans and it is why Koreans shop around for the best lawyer for the specific case.
Too often, we see foreign defendants in criminal cases that choose to maintain the same “corporate” firm for criminal matters. This is not always the best move and we can see in many of the most noteworthy cases that this is not, always, the rule. Realize that you are hiring a lawyer – not a law firm.
Also, realize that a proactive, non-conflicted, aggressive and respected lawyer is essential for all criminal defense matters. These lawyers are hard to find in Korea, especially when we consider that these lawyers, typically, need to be very senior retired judges to be effective.
When you find attorneys in Korea with these capabilities, they are worth their weight in gold – and often, also, charge their weight in gold.
Thus, Director Liability Insurance coverage is essential. We recommend to all clients to obtain a policy of, at least, USD 400,000. We have our more proactive clients obtain polices in many multiples of this number.
The policies, often, cover legal fees, lost work and incidental damages caused by criminal and civil actions taken against the director.
Other articles that may be of interest:
Sean Hayes may be contacted at: SeanHayes@ipglegal.com.
Sean Hayes is co-chair of the Korea Practice Team at IPG Legal. He is the first non-Korean attorney to have worked for the Korean court system (Constitutional Court of Korea) and one of the first non-Koreans to be a regular member of a Korean law faculty. Sean is ranked, for Korea, as one of only two non-Korean lawyers as a Top Attorney by AsiaLaw.
Sean’s profile may be found at: Sean C. Hayes
- The Signs of a Great Criminal Lawyer in Korea | English-Speaking Criminal Defense Lawyers in Seoul
- Non-Registered Company Director (Executive Director/Senior Managerial Worker) in Korea deemed Employee under Korean Labor & Employment Law
- Required Traits of a Great Criminal Lawyer in Korea: Hiring a Defense Lawyer in South Korea
- Limiting Director Liability in Korea under new KCC
- English-Speaking Criminal Defense Lawyers in Korea: Defense Lawyers to Hire and Not to Hire?
- Equal Employment Opportunity Commission Attorney in Korea for U.S. Military Employees