This Global Guide Q&A on South Korean Franchise Law provides an overview of the main practical issues concerning Korean franchising, including current market activity; regulation of franchising in Korea; contractual issues relating to franchising agreements in Korea (including pre-contract disclosure requirements, formalities, parties’ rights and obligations, fees and payments, term of agreement and renewal, termination, and choice of law and jurisdiction); Korean Operations Manual; liability issues; intellectual property; real estate; competition law; employment issues; dispute
resolution; exchange control and withholding; and proposals for reform in Korea.
|Korean Franchising Guide by Thomson Reuters|
This Korean Q&A is part of the Franchising Global Guide. The full chapter can be found at: South Franchising Chapter: Franchising Global Guide.
The Korean Chapter was answered by: Sean C Hayes, SangJong Kook and Jeongha Lee of SJ Law Firm, Int’l Practice Group (IPG Legal).
The Korean Law Blog contains numerous articles on Korean Franchise Law and Franchise Practices. Please search via the search box to the right
Sean Hayes may be contacted at: [email protected]
Sean is co-chair of the Korea Practice Team at IPG Legal. He is the first non-Korean attorney to have worked for the Korean court system (Constitutional Court of Korea) and one of the first non-Koreans to be a regular member of a Korean law faculty. Sean is ranked, for Korea, as one of only two non-Korean lawyers as a Top Attorney by AsiaLaw. Sean is known for his proactive New York-style street-market advice and his aggressive and non-conflicted advocacy. Sean works with some of the leading retired judges, prosecutors and former government officials working in Korea.
Sean’s profile may be found at: Sean C. Hayes
- Sean Hayes Attends American Bar Association’s Forum on Franchising
- Barriers to Trade in the Korean Franchising Industry
- Damages for Material Omissions in Franchise Disclosure Documents in South Korea
- Korean Franchisors’ Obligations in Korea to File Annual Report to Korean FTC
- Termination of a Franchise Agreement in Korea: Korean Franchise Law Basics
- IPG’s Korean Employment & Labour Law Chapter in Global Legal Insights 2018
- Injunctions Against your Former Franchisee for Competing Against your New Franchisee: Korean Franchise Law/Injunction Basics
- Privity of Contract in Franchise Agreements in Korea: Korean Franchise Law Updates
- Korean Franchise Law Basics for Franchisors
- Registration of a Korean Franchise Disclosure Document under Korea’s Revised Franchise Law