The National Assembly of the Republic of Korea recently passed the bill Amending the Act on Support for Overseas Expansion of Healthcare System and Attraction of International Patients (hereinafter as “Amendment to the Act on Overseas Expansion of Healthcare”), which major goal is to establish and operate a national database of medical training programs for foreign medical service workers. The Amendment shall be in force at the end of 2019.
History of the Korean Act on Overseas Expansion of Healthcare
In the early 2000s, Korea focused on expanding its medical services abroad, in order to attract more foreign patients. Therefore, the Korean government also created and started training programs with Korean private medical institutions for foreign medical service personnel. In addition, a large amount of public money was donated to such projects to support the success of such programs.
However, there exists no general database of these medical training programs for foreign medical service workers. No database, up until this time, collected information in order to create and operate new training programs, such as exchange programs with medical institutions abroad.
Major provision of the Amendment to the Act on Overseas Expansion of Healthcare in Korea
As mentioned above, to be able to create and run proper follow-up programs, this bill seeks to offer a legal basis for the establishment of a national database of medical training programs for foreign medical service workers. Therefore, the Korean Minister of Health and Welfare can request information about the training systems from the head of that medical institutions in Korea that offer medical services to foreigners. We shall update the reader when more information is available.
- Korea’s Medical Devices Act Amendment: Monetary and Monetary-Like Benefits to Healthcare Workers
- Employment Support for Disabled Soldiers in the Line of Duty as per the Amended Korean Act on the Management of Civilian Personnel in the Military Service 2019
- Korea Amends the Act on the Employment, etc. of Foreign Workers in 2019: Employment Law Updates
- The Amendment to the Korean Pharmaceutical Affairs Act 2019
- Safety Measures in Korean School Buses in Korea via the Amended Road Traffic Act of Korea
- New Provisions regarding the Korean Act on Reporting and Using Specified Financial Transaction Information
- Korean National Tax Service Tax Law News Release to Foreign Corporate Taxpayers: Korean Tax Law Updates
- Korea Establishes Legal Grounds for the Commercialization of Autonomous Vehicles – A New Act for 2020
- Korea’s Occupational Safety and Health Act Amendments for 2018 (OSHA Korea Updates)
- Korea Increases the List of Serious Crimes in the Act on Regulation and Punishment of Criminal Proceeds Concealment