The European Union General Data Protection Regulation (EU GDPR) focuses on the data security of personal data of users of the internet. As the EU offers a potentially lucrative market for online businesses for many Korean companies, South Korea was eager to amend its existing Act on the Promotion of IT Network Use and Information Protection of Korea (“Korean Network Act”) based, at least, partially on bench-marking of the EU GDPR. We suggest all companies, doing business in Korea, conduct via a professional in data privacy – a compliance audit. We suggest the professional has an understanding of not, only, Korean Law, but the law of the European Union as it relates to data privacy. Fines and criminal penalties for violation of data privacy laws have increased in Korea.
Korean Network Act
Basic Korean Data Protection Law Considerations
- Part of this amendments of the Korean Network Act came into force on 19th of March 2019;
- The Korean Network Act requires, for example, “digital communications providers,” who hold South Korean data, but who have no physical presence in the country, to establish a domestic representative to deal and monitor data protection issues faced by users in Korea; and
- Soon to come on line shall be laws related to data localization requirements and the protection of the data of children.
We shall be updating the reader of this blog when more comes available. We recommend all companies have a compliance audit with a particular focus on Privacy, Employment, Tax and the Basic Compliance Processes in order to stay ahead of the ever changing and often complicated compliance regime in Korea.
For further information to the GDPR take a look here: https://eugdpr.org/.
- Korea prepares itself for Big Data-driven 4th Industrial Revolution: Korean Data Protection Laws Revised
- Korean Compliance Checklist for your Business in Korea
- Korea’s Improper Solicitation and Graft Act: Kim Young-ran Act
- Amendment to Korea’s Occupational Safety and Health Act in 2019
- Starting a Company in Korea: Establishing a Foreign Capital-Invested Korean Company, Branch or Liaison Office
- Korean Waste Control Act Amendments of 2019
- Succeeding in Business in Korea
- The Amendment to the Korean Pharmaceutical Affairs Act 2019
- Korea Increases the List of Serious Crimes in the Act on Regulation and Punishment of Criminal Proceeds Concealment
- How to Invest in Korean Free Economic Zones (KFEZs): Korean Market Entry