The Amendment to the Korean Framework Act on International Development Cooperation (hereinafter as “Act”) was proposed by the Korean Foreign Affairs and Unification Committee at the end of last year. The law intent is to improve the human rights of juveniles in developing countries by the establishment of a variety of international development cooperation programs for at risk and impoverished children.
Main Objectives of the Korean Framework Act on International Development Cooperation
The major purpose of the Act is to enhance “…the appropriateness of policies for international development cooperation and the effectiveness of implementation thereof, and effectively achieve the policy objectives of international development cooperation by providing for basic matters concerning international development cooperation, thus contributing to the co-prosperity of humanity and to world peace.” (Art 1).
The cooperation partners included are either based on bilateral (f.i. cooperation partners of the State, local governments or public institutions) or multilateral (international organizations, such as the United Nations) agreements.
A key agency in this process is the Korean Official Development Assistance (ODA), which provides grants and loans to developing countries in the list of ODA-recipients.
Major Highlights due to the Amendment to the Framework Act 2019
- The current Framework Act on International Development Cooperation has no provisions for juveniles in developing countries. The revision includes juveniles.
- In general, internationally agreed goals, such as those defined by the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development by the United Nations, shall be added to the objectives of this Act.
- Korean Citizens shall be encouraged to participate in the international development programs, which are planned and operated by supervising agencies.
We are hoping that this Act can bring opportunities for NGOs that assist children worldwide, while assisting in the development needs of less developed nations. We shall update the reader when more is known.
- Korea Enhances its Scope of Eligible Persons under the Framework Act on International Development Cooperation: Korean Aide to Developing Countries
- National Database of Training Programs for Overseas Medical Service Workers in Korea
- Korean Arbitration: An Introduction
- English-speaking Korean lawyers and International Lawyers at International Law Firm in Korea discussing issues of Korean Law
- “Fine Dust” as Socially-Generated Natural Disaster – Amendment to the Framework Act on the Management of Disasters and Safety 2019
- Amendment to the Korean Immigration Act Supports Foreign Children in Cases of Child Abuse
- Über IPG
- New Provisions regarding the Korean Act on Reporting and Using Specified Financial Transaction Information
- Korea Fully Legalizes the Usage of LPG as a Fuel for Vehicular Transportation
- Foreign Franchisees Joining the Korean Franchise Association