IPG is proud to announce that Sean Hayes received the highest rating from AVVO. Avvo is an American attorney rating site and information portal. AVVO is one of the largest and most respected attorney rating sites in the United States. Sean, frequently, receives top ratings from legal rating services for his international law work. His law firm was, recently, rated South Korea’s Top Dispute Resolution Law Firm of the Year. Sean Hayes is a member of the NY Bar.
IPG Legal is often chosen by clients when non-conflicted and aggressive representation is essential for success. Sean is the first non-Korean to work for the Korean Court System and one the first non-Koreans to be a regular member of a Korean law faculty.
Sean was, recently, rated a Top 100 lawyer and his law firm was, recently, rated the top Dispute Resolution Law Firm in Korea. Sean is, often, quoted by the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg and other leading new sources on legal matters facing Korea and China.
New York Attorney Sean Hayes grew up in Connecticut and New York to an Irish-immigrant father and an Italian mother. He is a U.S. and Irish National who is a permanent resident of Korea. He received his legal education in Korea, the United States and in the U.K.
Sean Hayes is the first non-Korean employed by the Korean Court System (Constitutional Court of Korea) and one of the first non-Koreans to be a full-time regular member of a Korean law faculty. Sean taught justices at the Constitutional Court of Korea, judges at courts throughout Korea and government officials international contract law, constitutional law and criminal procedure.
Sean is known, over his 16+ years working professionally, for his aggressive advocacy and candid NY-style street-smart advice.
Sean is recognized by numerous legal publications and rating agencies for outstanding service to clients both large and small. Recently, he was recognized by AsiaLaw as one of only two non-Korean attorneys as a Top Attorney in Korea and his law firm was, recently, recognized as the Dispute Resolution Law Firm of 2020.
IPG has successfully brought into Asia and North America numerous brands, oil & gas, manufacturers, real estate companies, franchises, entertainment companies and new-tech companies. Sean and IPG have also been involved in some of the most noteworthy contentious matters via arbitration and litigation in New York, Hong Kong, Korea, China, Vietnam, Laos, Myanmar, Bangladesh, Cambodia, the Philippines and throughout the United States.
IPG’S REPRESENTATIVE CASES
- Arbitration: International Arbitration between an international construction company and a Korean conglomerate.
- Arbitration: International Arbitration between multinational defense contractor for work performed in U.S. military installations in Korea.
- Administrative Law/Commercial Litigation: Successful resolution of a Korean Customs and Tax Audit for a leading international chemical company.
- Commercial Litigation/Franchise Law: Successful resolution of a dispute between a F & B Franchise and a Korean franchisee.
- Commercial Litigation/IP Law: Enforcement and monitoring of trademarks for numerous clients.
- Commercial Litigation/Localization of Foreign Judgment: Localization and enforcement of an eight-figure commercial debt in Korea.
- Corporate Law: Successful entry of a leading e-commerce site into the Korean market.
- Corporate Law: Successful entry of defense, manufacturing, technology, new tech and fintech companies into the Korean market.
- Corporate Law/Market Entry: Successful entry of a leading e-commerce site into the Korean market.
- Corporate Law/IP: Consultation services related to licensing, joint ventures and regulatory compliance issues for an American real estate developer’s shopping mall projects in Korea.
- Criminal Defense: Not guilty verdict for the president of a major foreign defense company.
- Criminal Defense: In coordination with Judge SJ Kook, over 50 not guilty verdicts.
- Distribution/Corporate Law: Drafting of agency and distribution agreements for leading multinational corporations doing business in Korea, China and North America.
- Distribution/Corporate Law: Successful termination of a multi-year exclusive distributor agreement without compensation to the distributor for termination for a major international technology company.
- Employment Law: Complete restructuring of the HR compliance for an international retailer.
- Employment Law: Numerous successful terminations of employees of companies.
- Employment Law: Drafting of employment rules, employment agreements and compliance handbooks for companies doing business in Korea.
- Estate & Probate Law: Protection of assets of individuals and disclaimer of estates.
- Franchise Law: Registration of a leading New York bakery franchise in Korea.
- Franchise Law: Registration of a leading international educational franchise in Korea.
- General Practice: Numerous estate, family, general civil law and criminal law services for individuals.
- IP Law: Successful challenge of a registered trademark for an international fashion brand.
- Labor Law: Successful challenge of the termination of an expat executive of a leading Korean conglomerate.
- Tax Law: Successful challenge to a large portion of a tax imposition by the Korean National Tax Service against a defense company.
- Tax Law/Corporate Law: Review, yearly, of the end-of-year tax audit and closing statement for clients.
- Trade Law: Local counsel for a leading international law firm’s Fortune 500 client in a trade dispute leading to a tariff on the products of a local Korean conglomerate.
Constitutional Court of Korea, Research Officer
Associate Professor, Kookmin University College of Law
Adj. Professor, Seoul National University, Graduate School of Public Administration
Columnist & Ombudsman, Korea Times
LA, United States Senate Steering Cmte.
Quoted by the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, France 24, Bloomberg, Korea Times, and Korea Herald
Seoul National University, Ph.D. Cand.
University of London, International Law
QU School of Law, J.D.
Fordham University/Fairfield University, BA
Notre Dame High School, West Haven, CT
Admitted to the New York State Bar
Member, International Bar Association
Member, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
Member, NY Bar Association
Member, NY City Bar Association
One of only two non-Koreans rated a Top Attorney by LawAsia.
Korea’s Top 100 Lawyers, Asia Business Law Journal
Korea’s Dispute Resolution Law Firm of the Year, Corp. Intl.
Who’s Who in Franchise Law.
Who’s Who in the World.
Excellent Rating (10/10), AVVO.
Best Advice Blog, K-Blog Awards.
Top 25 International Law Blog, LexisNexis.
Top Blogs, AVVO’s Listing of Blogs.
Who’s Who in Entertainment Law.
U.S. Political Question Defined, American Journal of Constitutional Law (2015).
U.S.Political Question Application to Korean Constitutional Law, Korean Const. Court Journal (2014).
Korean Franchising, A Global Guide, Practical Law, Thomson Reuters (2018).
Korean Employment & Labor Law, Global Legal Insights 6th Edition, Global Legal Group (2018)
The Korean Labor Market under the Moon Administration, 2018 Discovering Business, Allurentis (2018)
Korean Business in the Global Economy, Chapter in Book (2014).
Over 100 Op-Ed in various international publications.
Taught law classes for Santa Clara University; Seoul National University; Kookmin University; University for Peace; and the Supreme Court of Korea.
English & Korean
To schedule a call with Sean Hayes please: Schedule Call
- Jurisdiction and Choice of Law Issues in Agency Agreements
- Korea Enhances its Scope of Eligible Persons under the Framework Act on International Development Cooperation: Korean Aide to Developing Countries
- Avvo Top-Rated Lawyer: Sean Hayes
- Distribution Agreements in Korea: Crawl before you Walk
- Korea Increases the List of Serious Crimes in the Act on Regulation and Punishment of Criminal Proceeds Concealment
- Korea’s Virtual Assets/Cryptocurrency Law
- Mergers & Acquisition Arbitration Matters under Korean Law at the KCAB
- Exclusion of Japan from Export/Import White List