The bill on the Amendment to the Korean Act on the Management of Civilian Personnel in the Military Service (hereinafter as “Amendment to the Act on Civilian Personnel in the Military Service” or “Act”) was passed by the Korean National Assembly on March 28, 2019. The Act is intended to improve the financial and work-related recovery of Korean military soldiers, which are disabled by an injury during military service.
History and Legal Background to the Amendment to the Act on Civilian Personnel in the Military Service of Korea
The main trigger for the amendment was an accident in 2016, where a young man lost his leg due to a land mine near the Korean Demilitarized Zone. The man was injured during his mandatory military service.
Compensation for Disabled Military Personnel
- The Korean Military Pension Act provides, inter alia, a retirement pension, a severance pay and a pension for wounds (compare to Art 6 Military Pension Act).
- The Korean Act on the Honorable Treatment of and Support for Persons, etc. of Distinguished Service to the State provides, inter alia, veterans benefits like cost of living or nursing allowances, educational, medical and employment assistance, even loans.
Veterans and disabled soldiers (disabled while serving) complained about insufficient compensation for damages caused during military service. The Amendment to the Act on Civilian Personnel in the Military Service shall be in force six months after promulgation. We shall update the reader when more becomes available.
For a consultation please contact us at: Legal Services.
- Employment Support for Disabled Soldiers in the Line of Duty as per the Amended Korean Act on the Management of Civilian Personnel in the Military Service 2019
- Applying for Veteran Disability Benefits from Korea, Japan, and the Philippines
- Guidelines on Rules of Employment & Guidelines on Fair Personnel Management Withdrawn by Korean Ministry of Employment
- English-Speaking Korean Labor & Employment Lawyers in Korea
- Non-Compete Clauses in Korean Employment Agreements and Korean Business Sales Agreements
- Amendment to Korea’s Industrial Accident Compensation Insurance Law
- National Database of Training Programs for Overseas Medical Service Workers in Korea
- Korean National Pension Contributions and Tax Deductions for Freelancers and Expats Residing in Korea
- Happy Veterans Day
- Korea Assisting Mongolian Peace Keeping Efforts with Korean Military Equipment