The bill on the Amendment to the Korean Act on the Management of Civilian Personnel in the Military Service (hereinafter as “Amendment to the Act on Civilian Personnel in the Military Service” or “Act”) was passed by the Korean National Assembly on March 28, 2019. The Act is intended to improve the financial and work-related recovery of Korean military soldiers, which are disabled by an injury during military service.
History and Legal Background to the Amendment to the Act on Civilian Personnel in the Military Service of Korea
The main trigger for the amendment was an accident in 2016, where a young man lost his leg due to a land mine near the Korean Demilitarized Zone. The man was injured during his mandatory military service.
Compensation for Disabled Military Personnel
- The Korean Military Pension Act provides, inter alia, a retirement pension, a severance pay and a pension for wounds (compare to Art 6 Military Pension Act).
- The Korean Act on the Honorable Treatment of and Support for Persons, etc. of Distinguished Service to the State provides, inter alia, veterans benefits like cost of living or nursing allowances, educational, medical and employment assistance, even loans.
Veterans and disabled soldiers (disabled while serving) complained about insufficient compensation for damages caused during military service. The Amendment to the Act on Civilian Personnel in the Military Service shall be in force six months after promulgation. We shall update the reader when more becomes available.
For a consultation please contact us at: Legal Services.
- Guidelines on Rules of Employment & Guidelines on Fair Personnel Management Withdrawn by Korean Ministry of Employment
- English-Speaking Korean Labor & Employment Lawyers in Korea
- National Database of Training Programs for Overseas Medical Service Workers in Korea
- Korean Independent Contractor Risks: Korean Labor Standards Act Basics
- Increased Scrutiny of Employers by Korean’s Ministry of Employment & Labor under President Moon’s Administration: HR Audit Needed by Korean Employment Lawyers
- Korea Assisting Mongolian Peace Keeping Efforts with Korean Military Equipment
- Amendment to the Korean Protection of Military Bases and Installations Act 2019
- Can you Revise Employment Rules in Korea without the Agreement of Employees?
- Hiring/Terminating an Employee/Contractor in Korea: Employment Law in Korea
- Suspending Korean Workers without Pay due to Economic Fallout from the Coronavirus: Korean Employment Law Basics