Sean C. Hayes and the team at IPG Legal field many inquiries from international clients for assistance with inheritance issues in South Korea. Many clients that we talk with are children of Korean descendants who have passed away without a will.
This week we saw another ruling on inheritance issues with the surviving family of K-pop star Goo Hara. After a nine-month battle, the Gwanju Family Court ruled that the inheritance be split, with the singer’s brother getting 60% of the assets and Goo’s estranged mother the remaining 40% of the inheritance.
There are provisions in inheritance law in Korea that allow the parents of the deceased to claim the inheritance in cases where there is no spouse or children involved. This ruling also applies if the parents did not raise the deceased.
Normally, in Korean Interstate Succession Law (Death without a Will), the order of succession is:
- Direct descendants (children and grandchildren);
- Direct ascendants (parents and grandparents);
- Siblings (brothers and sisters); and
- Relatives within the 4th Degree.
Please see for more information on Korea’s Inheritance Law: Who Inherits What, When and How in Korea?
Also, be aware that you can inherit debt in Korea. Please see: Renouncing an Estate/Inheritance under Korean Law
The team at IPG Legal has dealt with similar issues successfully and we would recommend speaking with an attorney to discuss the options of a will and inheritance in Korea. Schedule a call with an attorney to discuss your family’s future today.
- Navigating Korea’s Inheritance Law: Korean Inheritance Laws Basics Explained
- Korean Inheritance Law: Who Inherits What, When & How in Korea?
- Korean Intestate Succession Law: Inheriting Property from your Korean-National Parents
- Renouncing an Estate/Inheritance under Korean Law
- Korean Wills: Korean Estate Law Basics
- Wills, Trusts, Pre-Nuptial Agreements, Living Wills, and Power of Attorneys in Korea
- Korean Child Abduction Law Explained
- Changes to the Korean Immigration System means more Opportunities for Single Parents to Work in Korea
- Blind Stubbornness of Ministry of Health and Welfare
- International Child Abduction in Korea: Removing a Child Back to the Country of Residence of the Custodial Parent via the Korean Courts Explained