The Korean Intellectual Property Office made an announcement that South Korea has surpassed Germany and became the number four country in the world in international patent application to the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO). The first spot is taken by China, followed by U.S. and Japan for the second place and third place respectively.
Last year, also, saw another record-breaking milestone as South Korea exceeded the 20,000 mark for the first time and submitted 20,060 international patent applications for 2020. And because of this South Korea was also hailed as third place in terms of largest rate of year-on-year increase with 5.2%. China ranked first with 16% increase.
For similar articles, please read: Filing for a Patent in Korea: Basics of Korean Patent Law, Korean Patent Law’s Trade Secret Protection: Amendment to Trade Secret Law in Korea, and Licensee has Standing to Challenge the Validity of a Patent in Korea.
If you would like to discuss a matter with an attorney: Please Schedule a Call with an Attorney.
- Korea has 4th Highest Number of International Patent Applications in the World
- Filing for a Patent in Korea: Basics of Korean Patent Law
- Amendment to Korea’s Intellectual Property Registration System: Korea IP Law Updates
- Korean Patent Law’s Trade Secret Protection: Amendment to Trade Secret Law in Korea
- Licensee has Standing to Challenge the Validity of a Patent in Korea. Korean Licensing & Royalty Law Updates
- South Korea Begins 7th Round of Negotiations with China on Free Trade Agreement
- Korean IP Infringement Jurisdiction Centralized at Five Korean District Courts and the Patent Court of Korea: Korean Intellectual Property Case Updates
- IPG Member of International Association of Entertainment Lawyers
- Enforcing your Trademark Rights in Korea: IP Protection Strategies for Korea
- English-language Patent Filing System in Korea Approved by Supreme Court