Korea Divorce Checklist for Negotiation of a Marital Separation Agreement in Korea

The following Korea divorce checklist may be useful for those negotiating a marital separation agreement in Korea. We highly recommend the utilization of a marital separation agreement, since the normal Korean judgment doesn’t consider some issues that may arise in the future including pension and social security that are addressed in a typical marital separation agreement. In most cases, it is advisable to retain a lawyer to assist with your divorce.

Korean Separation Agreements

The average Korean lawyer doesn’t handle many divorces for foreigners, often, is not aware of the reality overseas and, thus, often thinks the cursory Korean court judgment is adequate. Often, the cursory court judgment, in Korea, is not adequate in waiving the rights to some foreign vested benefits abroad. Thus, only hire an attorney in Korea who has significant experience with international divorces and who has drafted marital separation agreements for foreigners. I would suggest requesting a marital separation agreement in English prior to retaining the attorney. If you

Korea Divorce Checklist
(This checklist is not intended to be exhaustive, but is a good guide for a discussion with your attorney)

  • Children
    • Who has the power to determine: where the child (children) goes to school, tutors, extracurricular activities, moves abroad, which doctors, religion which treatments etc.?
    • Ability for non-custodial parent to take child during vacations outside of Korea?
    • Can the name of child be changed?
    • Custodial Parent?
    • Non-Custodial Parent:  Visitation vs. time sharing?
    • Non-Custodial Parent:  Schedule for each week, holidays, vacations and school recess?
    • How does the arrangement change if a parent relocates?
    • Child Support? Payment Method? Inflation Adjustment? Salary Adjustment?
    • Child Support until what age?
    • Responsibility for health insurance, medical expenses, school and college?
    • Support Provider- life insurance?
  • Spousal Support (Normally only property distribution and “consolation money”)
    • Spousal support/consolation money?
    • At-fault Money Judgement?
    • Pending Criminal Charges?
  • Division of Property
    • Division of Property?
    • Cost of Division of Property?
    • Pensions, IRAs, and Social Security?
    • Life Insurance?
    • Vested Inheritance and Pensions?
    • Debt?
    • Legal Fees?

If you would like to schedule a call with Sean Hayes, please Schedule a Call Here.

Similar Posts:

Leave a Reply