Heartiest congratulations to Attorney Sean Hayes for being recognized as one of the top 100 lawyers in South Korea by the Asia Business Law Journal.
It’s a great achievement to be listed twice in their Top 100 Lawyers report and it’s a testament to his excellent work for clients in the country. The A-List report is available online for those interested.
Attorney Sean Hayes has a broad range of experience. He is the head of a highly regarded dispute resolution law team in IPG Legal law firm for South Korea and he is frequently quoted by reputable news outlets on issues involving Korea, China, and the United States. Sean comes from an unusual background. He was raised by Irish and Italian parents in Connecticut and New York, and he studied law in Korea, the United States, and in the United Kingdom. He is U.S. and Irish national who is a permanent resident of Korea.
Sean Hayes is one of the first non-Koreans to hold a regular full-time position at a Korean law faculty and is the first non-Korean to be employed by the Korean Court System. Sean is renowned for his tenacious advocacy and street-smart advice. Having worked in the legal field for more than 20 years, Sean Hayes is a well-rounded and highly respected attorney who is rated a top attorney by numerous legal rating sites.
IPG’S REPRESENTATIVE CASES
- Arbitration: International Arbitration between an international construction company and a Korean conglomerate.
- Arbitration: International Arbitration between multinational defense contractor for work performed in U.S. military installations in Korea.
- Administrative Law/Commercial Litigation: Successful resolution of a Korean Customs and Tax Audit for a leading international chemical company.
- Commercial Litigation/Franchise Law: Successful resolution of a dispute between a F & B Franchise and a Korean franchisee.
- Commercial Litigation/IP Law: Enforcement and monitoring of trademarks for numerous clients.
- Commercial Litigation/Localization of Foreign Judgment: Localization and enforcement of an eight-figure commercial debt in Korea.
- Corporate Law: Successful entry of a leading e-commerce site into the Korean market.
- Corporate Law: Successful entry of defense, manufacturing, technology, new tech and fintech companies into the Korean market.
- Corporate Law/Market Entry: Successful entry of a leading e-commerce site into the Korean market.
- Corporate Law/IP: Consultation services related to licensing, joint ventures and regulatory compliance issues for an American real estate developer’s shopping mall projects in Korea.
- Criminal Defense: Not guilty verdict for the president of a major foreign defense company.
- Criminal Defense: In coordination with experienced judges, over 50 not-guilty verdicts.
- Distribution/Corporate Law: Drafting of agency and distribution agreements for leading multinational corporations doing business in Korea, China and North America.
- Distribution/Corporate Law: Successful termination of a multi-year exclusive distributor agreement without compensation to the distributor for termination for a major international technology company.
- Employment Law: Complete restructuring of the HR compliance for an international retailer.
- Employment Law: Numerous successful terminations of employees of companies.
- Employment Law: Drafting of employment rules, employment agreements and compliance handbooks for companies doing business in Korea.
- Estate & Probate Law: Protection of assets of individuals and disclaimer of estates.
- Franchise Law: Registration of a leading New York bakery franchise in Korea.
- Franchise Law: Registration of a leading international educational franchise in Korea.
- General Practice: Numerous estate, family, general civil law and criminal law services for individuals.
- IP Law: Successful challenge of a registered trademark for an international fashion brand.
- Labor Law: Successful challenge of the termination of an expat executive of a leading Korean conglomerate.
- Tax Law: Successful challenge to a large portion of a tax imposition by the Korean National Tax Service against a defense company.
- Tax Law/Corporate Law: Review, yearly, of the end-of-year tax audit and closing statement for clients.
- Trade Law: Local counsel for a leading international law firm’s Fortune 500 client in a trade dispute leading to a tariff on the products of a local Korean conglomerate.
Constitutional Court of Korea, Research Officer
Associate Professor, Kookmin University College of Law
Adj. Professor, Seoul National University, Graduate School of Public Administration
Columnist & Ombudsman, Korea Times
LA, United States Senate Steering Cmte.
Quoted by the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, France 24, Bloomberg, Korea Times, and Korea Herald
Seoul National University, Ph.D. Cand.
University of London, International Law
QU School of Law, J.D.
Fordham University/Fairfield University, BA
Notre Dame High School, West Haven, CT
Admitted to the New York State Bar
Member, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
Member, International Bar Association
Member, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
Member, NY Bar Association
Member, NY City Bar Association
Korea’s Top 100 Lawyers, Asia Business Law Journal
Korea’s Dispute Resolution Law Firm of the Year, Corp. Intl.
Who’s Who in Franchise Law.
Who’s Who in the World.
Excellent Rating (10/10), AVVO.
Best Advice Blog, K-Blog Awards.
Top 25 International Law Blog, LexisNexis.
Top Blogs, AVVO’s Listing of Blogs.
Who’s Who in Entertainment Law.
U.S. Political Question Defined, American Journal of Constitutional Law (2015).
U.S.Political Question Application to Korean Constitutional Law, Korean Const. Court Journal (2014).
Korean Franchising, A Global Guide, Practical Law, Thomson Reuters (2018).
Korean Employment & Labor Law, Global Legal Insights 6th Edition, Global Legal Group (2018)
The Korean Labor Market under the Moon Administration, 2018 Discovering Business, Allurentis (2018)
Korean Business in the Global Economy, Chapter in Book (2014).
Over 100 Op-Ed in various international publications.
Taught law classes for Santa Clara University; Seoul National University; Kookmin University; University for Peace; and the Supreme Court of Korea.
English & Korean
To speak with Sean Hayes please: Schedule a Call
- Sean Hayes was Rated a Top 100 Attorney
- IPG’s Sean Hayes Received the Highest Lawyer Rating from AVVO for his Work on International Legal Issues
- Sean Hayes Invited to Chair Panel for Horasis Foundation
- Top 100 Korean Lawyers & Legal Consultants in Korea
- Über den Autor: Sean Hayes
- About Authors
- English-Speaking Business Lawyers in Seoul, Korea: Corporate Law & Compliance Team at IPG Legal
- Korean Arbitration: An Introduction
- Sean Hayes Ranked a Top 100 Lawyer in South Korea by Asia Business Law Journal
- Leading Commercial Arbitration Law Firm in Korea