With the Korean government auditing Korean Alt Currency exchanges and the Korean government looking at the regulation of crypto-currency, a major exchange, in Korea, has banned the trading on the exchange from Iran, Syria, Iraq, Ethiopia, Serbia, Sri Lanka, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Vanuatu, and Yemen.
These aforementioned nations are on the Financial Action Task Force’s Non-Cooperative Countries or Territories black list. This Task Force, an intergovernmental agency, has deemed these countries to not have sufficient legal procedures in place to assist in preventing the laundering of money.
The Korean government has raided Korean exchanges and investigated these raided exchanges for violation of Korean law. On of the major worries was the use of Alt Currencies, including, Bitcoin for nefarious reasons including money laundering and the purchase of drugs.
No criminal charges were levied against any individual from Bithump, however, charges of embezzlement and fraud were levied against executives from Coinnest – the fifth or sixth largest exchange in Korea and other exchanges.
It seems like the major focus of the Korean government has shifted from banning of Korea’s exchanges to, simply, regulating the exchange. Please search our database for other articles on this issue and for a basic article on the issue please see: Trading of Bitcoin in Korea by Foreigners
- Future of Bitcoin in Korea according to FTC: Korean Cryptocurrency Updates
- Korean Cryptocurrency Case Filed to the Korean Constitutional Court: Korean Bitcoin Updates
- New Provisions regarding the Korean Act on Reporting and Using Specified Financial Transaction Information
- Korea New Exchange (KONEX) Basics
- Is Bitcoin Banned for Foreigners in Korea? Korean Bitcoin Law Updates
- Korean Government Official Prosecuted in U.S. for Violation of Korean Law? Application of Korean Law in U.S. Courts
- Carbon Trading Market Established in Korea: 2nd Largest Market in World
- Increased Scrutiny of Employers by Korean’s Ministry of Employment & Labor under President Moon’s Administration: HR Audit Needed by Korean Employment Lawyers
- Korea Blockchain Law Society Founded: Korean Crptocurrency Law Updates
- Short Selling at the Korea Stock Exchange Permitted – Don’t Forget the Disclosure Requirements